Before New Year’s Eve kicks in, this Monday’s EU Austerity Drinking Tour post revisits a candy shop on France’s Atlantic Coast.
We zig zag through Nantes‘ medieval streets.
The rain and gray sky drives us in and out of glittering shops. But not far from city center glows Gorges Gautier: chocolatier:
“Chocolate? But this an EU Austerity Drinking Tour travel post”, you wonder. Fret not. Past the window’s marzipan mountains and licorice forests, which look like a Francophilic Candyland, we spot Muscadet:
I follow my wife into a yarn shop. While gets tangled in a rainbow of alpalca, sheep, and angora wools, the chocolate stares at me.
It whispers, “Eat me! She’ll never notice!”. I am curious. Be strong. Wait. Just for the sake of science, I will unwrap it.
Lovely cocoa aromas breath from the round brown ball, dusted on top with chocolate chips. “Quickly!” It says!
I look around. My wife has her hand stuck in a button jar. Fine! You win!
Daintily, I take a small bite. It explodes like a syrup-filled water-balloon.
Loads of sweetness and alcoholic warmth play against salt and citrus notes. A fat, drunk, golden muscadet grape swims in this chocolate hot tub. My sticky fingers feed another bite. That plain, citric grape has transformed into something delicious, ridiculous, cloying, yet irresistible:
Before I can string this metaphor any further, my wife catches me. I share the half. She forgets yarn and enters euphoria.
High on sugar, we spend the rest of the day gleefully exploring Nantes. A walk up the Arcade of Sciences, a mall devoted to the city’s scientific arts, is not too far from that crazy candy.
- Other Muscadets and Oddities: Coteaux de la Loire, Grandlieu, Gros Plant, Fiefs Vendeens, Chenin, and Muscadet (waywardwine.com)
- Aging Wine on Sludge: Muscadet Sur lie -vs- Sans lie (waywardwine.com)
- TRAVEL: Reap of Muscadet (intoxicatingprose.com)
- Audrey hepburn’s peach and white choc crumble muffins… (mygrandmataughtmehowtocook.wordpress.com)
- Bored of Pinot Grigio? (winewaffle.wordpress.com)
- Audrey Hepburn is reborn in creepy, amazing chocolate ad (video) | VentureBeat (venturebeat.com)