Every Monday and Thursday, we discover new wines, regions, and ways to understand this fermenting sea.
- Mourvedre Part 2: Wine Review 5 Blocks Terry Hoag Paso Robles 15
- Nebbiolo…from Oregon? Cerulean Nebbiolo Columbia Gorge OR 2010
- Fizz Fit For The Queen: Hattingley Valley Classic Reserve English Sparkling Wine NV Review
- Give Mourvèdre Its Due: Wine Review of Croad, Paso Robles, California 2011
- Nearly New Year: Champagne Dinner at Paley’s Place Portland Oregon
Munching Vidal Blanc on Keuka Lake, New York
Tag Archives: virginia
My wife’s conference brings baby and I to Virginia. We stay in Alexandria: namesake of our ten month old and posh tourist excursion from Washington DC.
Now, with a week to kill, between eponymous photo-ops, I explore Alexandria’s wine shops and bottle bars. Years have passed since I last sold or tried wine from Virginia. I remember liking it. Lean and structured, like Bordeaux, Baboursville Octagon Red seemed solid.
But a concern slowly creeps in. Alexandria’s shelves and lists feature fab Sancerre, German bubblies, Rhône growers, interesting South African Chenin Blanc, Langhe Nebbiolo, and Californian classics. Heck, every shop has at least three Oregon Pinot Noir, even unseen single vineyards, and I come from Oregon. Continue reading